5 December 2019: Malaysia’s favourite annual book blowout is back and promises to be even bigger and better
If you have been in the country these past few years, it’s likely that you have heard of, or even been to, the Big Bad Wolf Sale – the substantial home-grown event, which has been touted as the world’s biggest book sale, that draws into its embrace an annual pilgrimage comprising thousands upon thousands of bookworms both avid and tame. Typically held at the Mines International Exhibition and Convention Centre (MIECC), the 24-hour, several-days-long Big Bad Wolf Sale offers countless books and magazines of various shapes, forms, genres, languages, subject matters and more, stacked on tables as far as the eye can see (the column-free exhibition hall is over 600 feet long, which should give you an idea of the scale!). There are also merchandise such as collectible popular culture items, posters, pressed metal signs and the like to tempt visitors.
Happening for 11 days from 6-16 Dec 2019 with the theme ‘Carnival’, the Sale this year is a vibrant one that sees some 4.5 million new books across over 50,000 titles, sold at 75%-95% off their recommended retail prices. As the official banking partner, OCBC bank is offering an additional 5% discount for book purchases made using OCBC bank cards.
Lim Wyson, Head of Consumer Financial Services, OCBC Bank Malaysia; Jacqueline Ng and Andrew Yap, Co-Founders of Big Bad Wolf Books officiating the Big Bad Wolf Book Sale Kuala Lumpur 2019
The Sale, which is held in smaller proportions in other states in Malaysia throughout the year, has also spread to over half a dozen countries in Asia and the UAE. Reflecting on the 10th anniversary of the Sale, Jacqueline Ng, Co-founder of Big Bad Wolf Books, said, “To thank all our loyal customers, we have not only curated an exclusive celebration this year but we are giving 1 free book with every ten books purchased,” said . “We have gone into a new territory with the newly launched Wolf Pack App that rewards loyal customers. There will also be an opportunity to win a lifetime supply of books and a touch of magic with our Magical Books series.”
Elsewhere, there is a food and beverage section for the hungry and thirsty, and an OCBC activity area outfitted with relaxing appointments including massages, complimentary manicures and pedicures, and an entertainment centre . There are also complimentary health and eye checks, free private consultations from specialists and a kids fun and games section with creative craft, drawing and colouring, and G-Clay workshops.
Heartwarmingly, the Big Bad Wolf Book Sale is also committed to eradicating illiteracy and making reading accessible to everyone through its Corporate Social Responsibility arm, Red Readerhood (RRH) which joins forces with local beneficiaries. This year, RRH would be collaborating with Friends to Mankind, an international non-profit organisation, so all the books that have been donated will be collected for their project, The Book Effect. It aims to collect 10,000 books in order to build libraries for various orphanages and refugee schools across Klang Valley. To kick-start the initiative, the Big Bad Wolf Book Sale will be pledging 1,000 books and visitors can purchase and donate books towards this worthy cause during the 11-day Sale at the designated Red Readerhood corner.
Big Bad Wolf Book Sale 2019
WHERE Mines International Exhibition and Convention Centre (MIECC), Seri Kembangan, Selangor
WHEN 24 hours (6-16 Dec)
Highlights and promotions in conjunction with the 10th Anniversary of Big Bad Wolf Book Sale:
- Loyalty Reward – This one of a kind loyalty reward program would make the Big Bad Wolf Book Sale fans go crazy. To get your hands on a limited-edition gift from the Wolf, fans are to bring their priced memorabilia purchased from previous sales and flaunt them at the Customer Service counter during the Sale. Only while stock lasts.
- Magical Books – The exclusive and unique range of children’s book title that incorporates Augmented Reality technology, providing children with a reading experience like never before. Popular titles such as ‘Little Red Riding Hood’ and ‘Lets Learn Alphabet ABC’ and new editions, ‘Frozen: A Sleepover Party’ and ‘Winnie the Pooh: Fun with First Words’, are among the 17 titles that will be at the Sale. Additionally, Wolf Pack members would enjoy Buy 5 Free 1 promotion on selected titles whereas non-members would enjoy Buy 7 Free 1 promotion on selected titles.
- Wolf Pack App – Newly launched mobile app to reward existing and new customers with exclusive member benefits and offers. The Wolf Pack Referral Program gives you a chance to collect exclusive merchandise from 5 Dec to 16 Dec 2019 as you sign up as a member and share the referral code with your friends. Additionally, members would receive a 20% BookXcess promo code upon sign up. The app is available for download on the App Store or Google Play Store and it is free.
- WIN a lifetime of books – Stand a chance to win 2 books a month for 25 years! All you have to do is to take part in the #ILOVEBBWKL2019 contest that runs from 5 Dec to 15 Dec and 10 lucky winners will be in the running to win the grand prize however participant must be a Wolf Pack member as all updates will be provided through the app.
- Largest variety of book titles – In conjunction with the 10th anniversary celebration, this year’s Sale will boast the largest variety of book titles. There will be a total of 50,000 book titles offering a multitude of genres under children books, fiction and non-fiction categories such as romance, pop-up books, literature, self-help, history, architecture and design including storybooks, activity books, board books, colouring books, picture books, and interactive books. There will also be a wide range of titles from credible local publishers at the Book Sale including Kualiti Books, Sasbadi, Karangkraf PTS, Penerbitan Pelangi, Buku Fixi, The Patriots and Kanyin Publishing to name a few.
- More incredible benefits – Among all offers and rewards, book lovers can indulge into book buying binge with the Buy 10 Free 1 promotion valid from 5 Dec to 16 Dec and OCBC customers using their OCBC Credit or Debit Card would enjoy 5% off on their purchases with a minimum spend of RM100, additionally, customers would enjoy a RM10 cash voucher if they sign up for OCBC product during the Sale.