This year, MIGF partnered with Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad (MAHB) to bring a brand-new event to life – MIGF KULinary! Those familiar with MIGF would know its award-winning marketing approach, which draws attention to participating restaurants year upon year. With this maiden collaboration, MIGF made its way to the country’s main airports, KLIA and klia2, to seek out their top restaurants.
After much deliberation, a panel of esteemed MIGF Judges shortlisted 19 of the best restaurants in both these venues, awarding them in various categories; and these Award Winners and more were what the MIGF KULinary Launch saw!
Hundreds of guests, comprising captains of industry, celebrities, ambassadors and the who’s who of Malaysian society showed up for this event. Among these were Festival Royal Patron, Tunku Naquiyuddin ibni Tunku Ja’afar, who graced proceeding as the Guest of Honour. Celebrity Chefs Chef Wan and Dato’ Fazley Yaakob, as well as personalities Nora Danish, Datuk Mohammad Nor bin Mohammad Khalid (a. k. a. Lat) and Thanuja Ananthan were also sighted.
The Launch was with the unveiling of the Award Winners to the media and guests. Following the opening performance by violinist Dennis Lau and welcome addresses by MIGF Founder and Organising Chairman Dato’ Steve Day and MAHB Senior General Manager of Commercial Services Nazli Abdul Aziz, the Winners were called to the stage to be handed their winner’s certificates, which were then displayed on their respective stations.
This made it a cinch to identify what each restaurant won simply by visiting each station. The Winners are listed below:
- Bibik Heritage, klia2 – Outstanding Local Dessert Award: Cendol
- Boost Juice, KLIA – Outstanding Fresh Juices Award
- Burger King, KLIA – Outstanding Beef Burger Award: Whopper
- Dome Café, klia2 – Outstanding Variety Award; Outstanding Breakfast Award; and Outstanding Western Dish Award: Fish & Chips
- Flight Club, KLIA – Outstanding Western Dish Award: Rotisserie Chicken; Outstanding Western Dish Award: Braised Beef Cheek and Outstanding On-The-Go Award
- Fukuya, KLIA – Outstanding Eastern Dish Award: Beef Teppanyaki
- Godiva Chocolatier, KLIA – Outstanding Western Dessert Award: Ice Cream
- Grandmama’s, KLIA – Outstanding Value for Money Award
- McDonald’s, KLIA – Outstanding Fast Food Award
- O’Briens Irish Sandwich Café, KLIA – Outstanding Western Dish Award: Classic Triple Decker
- PappaRich, KLIA – Outstanding Cooking to Order Award: Char Kuey Teow and Outstanding Local Dish Award: Char Kuey Teow
- Popeyes, klia2 – Outstanding Chicken Burger Award: Cajun Chicken Burger
- Puffy Buffy, klia2 – Outstanding Local Dish Award: Nasi Lemak
- Sama-Sama Express, klia2 – Outstanding Service Award and Outstanding Ambience Award
- Soul Chicken, klia2 – Outstanding Innovative Dish Award: Popcorn Chicken + Drink
- Starbucks, Contact Pier, KLIA – Outstanding Ambience Award and Outstanding Diverse Beverages Award
- Tampopo Express, klia2 – Outstanding Food Quality Award and Outstanding Noodles Award: Ebi Dry Ramen
- Urban Food Court, klia2 (Toast Box & Taste of India) – Outstanding Value for Money Award
Along with the certificates, the Winners were also given eye-catching trophies in the form of chef statuettes as further recognition of their culinary achievements. Spying these on the stations were the guests of the evening, who were the first sample the tasting portions from each restaurant, as well as the offerings from the Airlink Gastro Village.
The Judges who devoted much time and effort into deliberating on the Winners of MIGF KULinary 2019 were not forgotten as well, with a special token of appreciation being awarded to them on stage. Meanwhile, MIGF and MAHB marked their partnership with an exchange of gifts, namely the stunning result of a live speed painting on stage, and a specially commissioned MIGF KULinary drawing by arguably the most famous cartoonist in the country, Lat!
Spicing up the evening were special presentations by Chef Wan and Dato’ Fazley Yaakob. Chef Wan did a cooking demonstration in his trademark, crowd-pleasing flamboyant cooking style, while Dato’ Fazley ended the night on a sweet note with one of his famous Dessert Table live performances.
All in all, it was an amazing opener for the first-ever MIGF KULinary, which runs from 8 to 10 November at the Stage Area, Level 5, Departure Hall, KLIA. Do drop by for a taste sampler of the top restaurants in KLIA and klia2!
Check out the gallery below for more photos of the launch: