The Royal Museum, known locally as Muzium Diraja, is actually the former Malaysian royal palace that has been converted into a museum. Situated along Jalan Istana, it opened in February 2013 after the construction of the current palace on Jalan Tuanku Abdul Halim was completed. The former palace has quite the history: originally a double-storey mansion named the The Big House, built in 1928 by a local tin mining magnate, Chan Wing, it was used by the Japanese Governor during the Japanese occupation, before being turned into a senior military mess for the British after the former surrendered. Following renovations, it became the Selangor palace, and eventually the national palace.
With both interior and exterior having been restored and preserved as they were in their heyday, visitors have a rare, near-authentic insight into how the former kings and queens of Malaysia lived and carried out their royal duties. Convenient informative panels provide historical and observable explanations. Areas of note within the building are the Balairong Seri (a majestic hall where official ceremonies took place), sleeping chamber, dining hall and lounge.